Welcome to the Discovery House. This 6,000 square foot building houses the Museum’s permanent exhibits in the original 1850s portion of the building. Originally built by the Graham family in the late 1850s, the house was renovated and added to in the early 1900s by William Clyde. Historic architects believe that Clyde added the kitchen wing and the pantry area. Be sure to stop in the pantry area to see some of the artifacts and household goods that were found in the house when the Museum took over the property.
A large 1930s addition was built by Landon Thorne and Alfred Loomis. Our temporary gallery was originally two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Be sure to stop in the gallery to see what’s on display. There are usually more than 6 different exhibits during the year. And, the Sea Island Room, which is used for meetings and classes, was the living room. Thorne and Loomis were from New York City and came to the lowcountry each winter for duck hunting.
In 1950 the Hack family purchased this property. They lived on site and owned Honey Horn until the late 1990s when they sold it to the Town of Hilton Head Island. In the early 2000s the Coastal Discovery Museum raised the funds to transform this building and the rest of the Honey Horn property into the museum’s home. We opened here in 2007.